Aboriginal Australian business owner Joanne Pellew, from Perth WA-based Ochre People and iWork Jobsite discusses the innovations behind her businesses growth in the Indigenous Employment sector and takes us on a passionate journey of how she is using technology to close the gap of disadvantage by overcoming obstacles and instead creating opportunities for both Aboriginal people and Corporate Australia.
THE OCHRE POINT OF DIFFERENCE
Our service is based on the standard labour hire models; however we offer the following benefits which set us apart from any competitor:
- Ochre can provide a 100% Indigenous workforce if the client company requests.
- Ochre considers safety to be an extremely high priority, and this is embedded into the culture and mindset of our workforce.
- Ochre is able to work with the client company to ensure all selected candidates have all compliances in place to achieve site clearance.
- Ochre has a fantastic mentoring program to assist and support each of our new starter personnel and their families with the issues of the FIFO industry. The mentor program includes regular contact with new starters via phone, emails and site visits with the candidate and their supervisors.
- Our mentoring will be available to our personnel even after they have been transferred over to the host mining company. This is part of our cultural obligation to ensure the long-term success of our workforce.
- We undertake all pre-screens, reference checks, compliance needs and all medical and urinalysis screens.
- Ochre has mandatory personal development workshops for all new starters across all of our Industries.
- Our workforce is encouraged to acknowledge their roles and responsibilities as role models to their families, as well as within the Indigenous community in general.
- Ochre encourages the host mining companies to take ownership of the personnel after a six-month period to provide long-term and permanent employment for those candidates.
- Ochre wishes to be known as a vehicle for the eager, willing and able Indigenous people to eventually be placed into permanent employment roles. These roles will assist the candidates to forge long-terms careers within their industry of choice.
- Ochre wishes to be known as the labour hire provider of choice when it comes to provision of quality supply of people, as needed, for all of our valued clients across many different industries. Labour hire is an excellent vehicle to get Indigenous people into eventual long-term employment across many diverse industries.
- The founder and CEO of Ochre has a genuine desire to improve the quality of life for Indigenous people and to develop the future potential of the Indigenous community in general.